CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 6, 2010

My first dye job.

After reading this site a while ago: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/FEATdyedwool.html, I decided that I really wanted to dye my own yarn, so I started today.
I used LionBrand Fisherman's Wool. I really love the yarn, so I figured it would be a good yarn to start out with. Warning, I took way too many pictures! haha
I wrapped the yarn around a piece of cardboard so that I didn't dye the whole skein. It said to wrap it loosely so that all the yarn was dyed, so I just figured this would be the best way.

When I went food shopping at Wal-mart, I really tried to get grape Kool-aid, but all they had was cherry. I settled, but it was a nice one to start out with anyway.


When it first went in the water...

After about 10 minutes in the water...looks like a brain, doesn't it?? haha


And this is the finished result!! I really loved it. It was actually a lot of fun. I do want to try other methods, like painting though. The good side to Kool-Aid is that since there's no gross chemicals, you can use regular pots and pans and such. It's currently drying, but I'm already thinking of what I can make out of it!
All in all, if you love yarn, I think you should definitely try this out, because if nothing else, it's fun.

1 comments:

Courtney Short

found your blog thru craftster and have enjoyed it.. love your work.. and I think that dyed yarn looks kinda like raw ground beef :-)

Post a Comment