CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow Day

It's super snowy out today. Perhaps I'll get a bit of crocheting done later since I'm on my own. My hubby is out ice fishing for now, so I don't think we'll be going with our original plans of cleaning today. :)
I found out a fun fact today. Since my hubby was up at 5:45 to go ice fishing, I couldn't go back to sleep. I started to read a book, and it gave a brief history on crochet. I learned that doilies were originally made because the Victorian men used to wear really thick grease in their hair. The women would put the doilies on the back of the couch so that it was easier to just clean that than the couch. I found it interesting since I've never seen much of a use for doilies. lol.

In the meantime, I thought I would just throw in my last post and pattern from Craftster.

I've recently fallen in love with Coraline. After I fell in love with the movie, I read the book and fell in love all over again. After watching the movie yet again, I went away to crafting. I really wanted to make the cyclops squid, but couldn't find any patterns I liked. It took me a little while to make him just because I'm in the middle of moving. But, I finally finished him. I'm quite happy with how he turned out, and I think I found a very appropriate button for his eye as well.

Here he is from the movie, and then my version. :)





And here's the pattern for anyone interested in making him!

Pattern:I'm not great at writing patterns for anyone else to understand, so let me know if you need any help.

-Size G hook
-Worsted weight yarn
-large pink button

Body: Starting from the bottom and moving up to the top
1. 6 sc in magic ring
2. inc in each st around
3. *1 sc, inc* around
4. *2 sc, inc* around
5. *3 sc, inc* around
6. *4 sc, inc* around
7-21. sc around
22. *4 sc, dec* around
23-25. sc around
26. *3 sc, dec* around
27. sc around
28. *2 sc, dec* around
29. sc around
30. *1 sc, dec* around
31. dec aroundf
inish off

Ears
I attached the yarn directly to the body, so I didn't have to sew anything. Just a couple rows from the top is fine. Let me know if this is too confusing.
1. 5 sc up rows. ch1, turn.
2. sc across, ch1, turn.
3. skip first st, 4 sc, ch1 turn.
4. skip first st, sc2tog, ch1, turn.
5. skip first st, sc.
Finish off and weave in ends. Do the same on the other side of the body.

Legs-make 5
1. 6 sc in magic ring.
2. *inc* aroundrows
3-40, sc around.
Attach legs.

Let me know if any of that is confusing. I would love to see if anyone makes any!!

2 comments:

Sincerely, M. Cohen

aww haha love the squid

and how odd, about the doilies

learn something new every day

Unknown

ahhh i LOVE Coraline! I think everyone else thought I was insane

Post a Comment