CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Epic Masterpiece

So, long before my husband was actually my husband, and a little after I started crocheting, I learned how to make amigurumi. It's a word that in Japanese means small knitted or crocheted toys. When I learned how to make them, I was in love. I believe my first book was Creepy Cute Crochet. The book is confusing, and now knowing more about amigurumi, the patterns aren't very well written. However, it has swept the crochet world by storm. I think it's what got so many younger people involved with crocheting. I can make about 1 granny square and be bored. But, there's something about creating something with a hook and yarn, and watching it transform into something before your eyes. It's what keeps me crocheting, and it's really what I love more than anything else.
After I started making amigurumi, I felt like I could crochet anything. I became a bit more daring with my ventures as well. Before I ever attempted my own pattern, I tried out changing colors first. My very first post on Craftster was my RoboCop amigurumi. I made him for Seth. We watched that movie when we first started dating, and since it was probably one of the worst movies we've ever seen, it's become 'our' movie. lol. We've watched it numerous times since then, and have made silly things, like that doll, to commemorate 'our' movie.
Soon after, I discovered the amazingness of Etsy. I found that people sell their amazing patterns on there! My first pattern I bought was for an amigurumi goat. lol. This was the first pattern I think I really followed to the T. I was so proud of it, and felt so accomplished that I made something more detailed. This guy was my second post on Craftster, found here.
My first attempt in creating my own pattern was interesting to say the least. To be honest, I was very proud of him. Father's Day was coming up, and I wanted to make something for my Dad. Guys are hard to make stuff for, it's just not as easy as making something cute for girls. So, after much deliberation, I decided to create a Spider-Pig for my Dad. Not only is Spider-Pig just hilarious from the Simpson Movie, but my Dad and I went to see the movie together. I believe the first time we saw the trailer on TV for the movie, and they played Spider-Pig, we both laughed so much we cried. As weird as it may sound, Spider-Pig was a bonding moment for me and my Father. :) Needless to say, he loved it. He put a piece of elastic around his belly, and he now hangs from his visor in his car. He's said he gets many comments on it, and loves to tell people that I made him his own Spider-Pig. :)
Well, patterns haven't always been easy to make. I find myself doing a lot of screw ups, and sometimes get frustrated and just walk away from a project for days. If Seth asks me to make him something, I really have to want to make it, otherwise, it's just not fun for me. I don't like to compromise really, and just make stuff to make other people happy. I would rather get enjoyment out of it as well. So, about a year ago, Seth asked me to make him a giant Lego guy. Well, I didn't want to. I had discovered around this time, that you can take any amigurumi pattern, and make it giant, all you have to do is use a much bigger hook, and chunky yarn. So, Seth went out and bought all the yarn needed to make a Lego guy. He also found while I was making a yeti, that the head resembled that of a Lego guy, so I wouldn't even have to make that pattern myself. Yay?? I still didn't want to make it....
But I attempted. I got as far as the head and the body.
Fast forward to last night. I came out of the shower to this, sitting in the middle of the living room floor:


It was Seth's way of saying: "YOU NEED TO FINISH THIS NOW!!!!"

So, I've started again. I'm declaring it my epic masterpiece. The pattern will be completely my own. I wrote down the pattern as I was making it, but of course guess what I couldn't find last night? The pattern. I have a little notebook that I keep all my notes in, and it wasn't in there. So, I'm starting on the arms now.



I think I was more intimidated by it more than anything else. I got worried that I wouldn't be able to figure out how the arms bend, or something like that. But, I think I've really got it figured out now. This will be my newest project, and will hopefully be done soon. He's looking quite sad as a decapitated head and body, right?

Well, thank you for taking a trip down memory lane with me. I enjoy looking back on Craftster posts that I've done, and find stuff that I made, and see how much my crocheting has improved. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment